NuSilk™ by Specialty Textile Group, Inc. is a luxury fiber designed to replicate the delicate aesthetic qualities of natural silk, yet retain superior performance characteristics necessary for use in luxury residential and commercial floor covering environments.
- STG’s NuSilk™ fibre is processed through a uniquely designed spinneret, engineered to mimic the size and shape of natural silk for unrivaled visual and tactile appeal.
- Although products made of NuSilk™ are delicate and luxurious to the touch, the polymer from which NuSilk™ is derived shares Type 6,6 Nylon 101 architecture making it extremely durable in comparison to its natural fiber counterparts.
- NuSilk™ boasts a more compact, high tenacity molecular structure than natural and organic fiber options resulting in a product that will resist fiber loss due to abrasion and will not experience shedding or pilling common in natural fibers.
- A specialized twisting process results in a finished product that possesses high resiliency, allowing increased resistance to pile crush or “walk out” common in floor coverings made of natural and organic fibers.
- NuSilk™ is colorfast and may be easily dyed in a wide variety of shades from “paper white” to the darkest hues imaginable, with no issues.
- NuSilk™ features superior weathering properties in comparison to natural and organic fibers. This includes better sunlight resistance as well as enhanced resistance to rapid oxidation and “yellowing” common in natural fibers.
- NuSilk™ is inherently highly resistant to insects & fungi as well as molds, mildew, rot and many chemicals which may permanently stain floor coverings made of natural and organic fibers.
- Floor coverings made of NuSilk™ fiber may be cleaned as easily as conventional carpet and may be treated with advanced anti soil/stain protectants as well as flame retardant for use in yachts and aircraft.
Certifications and Ratings
- All Carpets constructed of NuSilk™ fiber must meet or exceed the following standards.
- Carpets made of NuSilk™ fiber are engineered to meet or exceed a commercial density rating of up to 1000 foot traffics/day making them suitable for heavy domestic/medium contract usage.
- NuSilk™ carpets are treated with NuShield™ performance additive for advanced protection against soil, stains and static electricity.
- NuSilk™ carpets meet or exceed flammability standard US ASTM E648-08 Critical Radiant Flux and British Standards BS 4790 Hot Metal Nut test(s) low radius of ignition. For aircraft and super yacht installations requiring Vertical Flammability Test FAR 25.853a, STG offers Promethezyl™ flame retardant finish.
- NuSilk™ carpets are constructed to achieve low TOG ratings making them ideal candidates for installations involving under heat flooring.
- NuSilk™ carpets are finished with NuBac™ natural rubber latex backing to promote increased performance (tuft bind), ease of handling/installation and improved seaming results.